The original building was erected in the 1890s but within ten years it was felt that ‘the lack of suitable accommodation’ was hindering the church and the time had come for a new building. Plans were put in place and in 1903 the foundation stone was laid; on 26th April 1904 was opened for worship and service to the town.

From the beginning, amongst the church’s members were a number of prominent local families; in particular, the Lloyds (the local doctor whose son became MP, Chancellor of the Exchequer, Foreign Secretary and Speaker of the House of Commons), the Bibbys (Liverpool industrialists) and the Brunts (Liverpool sugar brokers).

The church has been associated with the Scout Movement since the 1930s; the present group, formed in 1944, has flourished to become one of the largest groups in the Wirral. Later a close association grew with the RAF training camp and hundreds of new recruits, there to do basic training, came to the church.

The sandstone building (then known as the Wesleyan Methodist Church) was designed by John Wills and built by S. Fowler of Bootle. It was planned to seat 450 at a time when the membership was only 70.  Ambitious enough but not quite up to the first ideas of a church with spire and capacity for 700! The final cost for the building of about £4300 was met by donations and many fund raising events including £442 at a bazaar in Tynwald Hall (on The Crescent) and over £1000 from a three day bazaar in the Public Hall.

Please use the below links to read more about our windows and organ
.